Translate

Monday, September 12, 2016

"Awakened to a Remembrance of their Duty" -Alma 4:3

Sept. 12, 2016
Hi friends and family!

Wow. I learned a lot this week. This gospel is truly miraculous. I
want to start out by sharing a poem with you called "Highs and Lows"
by Jack Brinkerhoff.

A mission is a strange experience. It's a trial and a test.
A mission throws at you the worst yet teaches you the best.
They told me this would be the best period of my life. But I guess
they didn't explain it all too clear.
I came out looking for a bed of roses. I just wasn't expecting all the
thorns I've found out here.
Since I've been out, I've never been so happy. I've never been so depressed.
I've never felt so forsaken. I've never felt so blessed.
I've never been so consumed. My mind has never been so clear.
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant. I've never felt Him so near.
I've never been so discouraged. I've never been so full of hope.
I feel like I can go forever. I think I've come to the end of my rope.
I've never had it so easy. I've never had it so tough.
Things have never gone more smoothly. Things have never been so rough.
I've never traveled through more valley. I've never ascended so many peaks.
I've never met so many neat people. I've never met so many freaks.
I've never had so many ups. I've never had so many downs.
I've never worn so many smiles. I've never worn so many frowns.
I've never been so lonely. I've never had so many friends.
Man, I hope this is all over soon.
Gosh, I hope this never ends.

I love this poem because it perfectly describes my mission. So many
highs and so many lows. The past couple of months, I've been feeling
pretty low. It was rough. I won't go into detail, but just know that
life was super hard for me and my mind was starting to give up on me.
But with the help from a dear friend and the Savior, I'm working my
way back up. I have learned a lot about the Atonement this past week.
I'm very grateful for repentance and the chance it gives me to change.
I've been awakened to a remembrance of my duty(alma 4:3) and I plan on
working so hard until the end.

This week has been crazy good though! We worked so hard. Soooo much
happened this week though so I will just hit a few of the best parts!
So remember Gabriel, the guy we met on the street last week and had a
super cool street lesson with him? Welllllll, we were able to meet
with him twice this week and teach him more! He is awesome! But you
can tell that he's scared for a change in his life. He said he was
going to come to church, but he didn't show. But he has a desire to
learn and to come closer to Christ! Hopefully we can meet with him
more this week and get him to church!

We visited a ton of people this week. We just hit the ground and tried
visiting everyone we could and we ended up having some awesome lessons
this week! We also did a lot of service! One of which was running
around someone's backyard trying to catch chickens and clean up their
yard. Haha it was super fun. It was at a Spanish members house and
afterwards they fed us carne asada and it was super good. Also, I ate
a chili de Diablo which is this tiny black chili that is from the
devil(hence the name haha). But it was soooooo hot. Haha I was dying.
Good times though!
With the sister we live with!









Chicken service! We had to wear mask because it was super dusty and dirty haha

Also, get this, yesterday was Josh Groesbecks farewell and guess who
came in town and surprised me for it? MICHELLE AND BRENNAN RAY! For
those of you who don't know, the Ray family is like my second family
back home. And so seeing Michelle and Brennan totally made my day!!!
It was SO fun talking with them again and telling them about my
mission!! It was crazy, but so good!




Overall, this past week has been so good! We had dinner with President
and Sister Wright last night and I just adore them. Haha President and
I have the funniest relationship! We tease each other relentlessly! I
love it! But they both are so great! Definitely huge role models in my
life! I have been so blessed. Even though life has been pretty rough
lately, I have still seen the Lords hand in my life each day. I am
surrounded by amazing people with amazing stories and backgrounds.
I've had so many tender mercies from the Lord this past week
especially. He is truly aware of each of us and He hears our prayers.
I know that for a fact. How grateful I am to be a missionary for The
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and how grateful I am to
be able to share the good news of this gospel with everyone! Thank you
so much for your prayers and support from home! I love you all!



Love always, Sister Thompson🍍

No comments:

Post a Comment