Translate

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Thomstromsonberg

Hey friends and family!

Life is good! Fairfield is awesome! And my new companion is amazing!
So before I tell you about Sister Stromberg, I have to tell you that
at first it was super weird having a companion that isn't a greenie.
Haha I've been training my whole mission so I forgot what it's like to
have a normal companion again! I apologized in advance to Sister
Stromberg if I explain something to her about the mission or say
something a trainer would haha but she is awesome and we get along so
great! Sister Stromberg is from Fruitheights, UT and she's been out
about 11 months! She is HILARIOUS and we are such goofs together, I
love it! She has spent her whole mission so far up in the northern
parts of the mission, like Ukiah and Eureka, so when she came down by
the bay(where I've spent my whole mission) she was in culture shock
haha it's a lot hotter down here and really sunny. We had a lesson
with Lora Tuesday afternoon right when we got back from transferring
in Santa Rosa, and Sister Stromberg got a bloody nose during the
lesson. Haha Lora was a good sport about it and Sister Stromberg just
laughed it off and joked around saying that Lora would never forget
her now! Haha I didn't realize how different the climates were in our
mission!

This week was full of laughter and lessons! My two favorite things ;)
haha our lesson with Lora on Tuesday was actually super
spiritual(despite the bloody nose in the middle of it haha). Lora is
incredible and she came to church again yesterday! She is so ready to
turn her life around and work her way back into the church! We had
another lesson with her on Friday and that was also amazing. I think
it's incredible how Heavenly Father will inspire you to know what to
teach or do for a lesson. I've really learned to recognize and trust
the Spirit when it comes to preparing and teaching lessons. It was
hard for me at first to recognize a prompting I was receiving, so I
didn't act on them much. But now I understand how the Spirit speaks to
me and I LOVE following the promptings I get! I love preparing to
teach a lesson because Heavenly Father just sends so much revelation
while I'm preparing! It's amazing! For the lesson with Lora on Friday,
the revelation came Thursday night during my nightly prayer. I was
kneeling down by my bed, I started my prayer, and then I heard soft
music coming from the other side of the room. I quickly recognized the
music. My companion was watching the Mormon Message called "Mountains
to Climb". As a missionary with an iPad and access to all the church
videos, I've seen almost all the Mormon messages multiple times, and
"Mountains to Climb" has to be one of my favorites. It brings a soft,
strong spirit as you watch. So I decided to just kneel there, eyes
closed, and listen. Even though I had seen the video numerous times
before, as I kneeled there and just listened, that soft, strong spirit
I mentioned earlier entered into my heart. But it was different this
time. I began listening as if I was an investigator and the dynamic of
the whole video changed for me. I then thought of Lora and how she
would relate or feel during this video. I felt good and warm inside as
I listened as Lora would. When the video ended, and the room was
silent again, I began talking to my Heavenly Father again. I asked Him
if He wanted us to show this video to Lora tomorrow during our lesson
with her. I quickly received that same warm feeling inside that I felt
just one minute earlier during the video. I knew that was my answer.
The next day, when we showed the video to Lora, I felt so much love
for her. Just the night before, I had put myself in her shoes, and
then to watch her feel that same soft, strong spirit as I did filled
my heart with so much love and gratitude. The video set the tone for
the rest of the lesson and allowed Lora to really open up to us. It
was a spiritual, tear-filled lesson. How grateful I am not only for
the amazing church videos that we had easy access to now days, but for
the still and quiet moments that allow us to listen. Heavenly Father
knows these people way better than we do but He sends the spirit to
guide us in all we do!

Sister Stromberg and I have a goal this transfer to take at least one
random picture a day of us doing something completely out of the
ordinary haha so the pictures I send home this transfer...just go with
it. Haha we are having a blast while doing this incredible work! I
love it when Heavenly Father makes something happen to brighten our
day a little bit! For example, while walking out of a members home,
she pointed out a flower on a tall cactus that will only be in bloom
for 12 hours, so obviously we had to take a picture! Haha anyways, it
was super windy that day(like always) and while I was standing next to
the cactus talking the picture, the wind blew the cactus and it hit me
in the face haha and sister Stromberg got a picture of my reaction
haha it actually really hurt but I was laughing so hard! Little funny
things like this happen all the time and I love it! Yes, missions are
hard and a lot of work, but you can still have fun while being
obedient and doing the Lords work! Another example from this week, we
had a meeting with the Stake Mission Leader last night with our zone
and we had fruit kabobs as refreshments afterwards and it turned into
a "who can fit the most fruit in your mouth at once" contest. Funniest
thing ever. The strawberries were my downfall. Haha

Church yesterday was awesome! Both wards are really focusing on
missionary work right now! Woo! Sister Stromberg and I spoke in the
YSA Ward sacrament meeting about member missionary work! We are hoping
to ignite the fire of missionary work in both wards this summer! Lora
was the only one that came to church yesterday though. We had really
good lesson with the Murakamis this week but sister Murakami got sick
Saturday night. Satan is working so hard on them! But they are staying
strong and working hard! We also had a super solid lesson with the
Pacheco's and they all agreed to come to church again, but they didn't
show. It's hard when you work so hard during the week, but no one
comes to church on Sunday. A wise older brother of mine once said that
Sunday is like game day for us missionaries. We prepare the whole week
for Sunday to get our investigators and less actives to church. I'm
grateful Lora came to church yesterday, but it hurts when others don't
show up. And it's not that I'm offended or mad that they don't come to
church, I'm just sad. They are missing out on something so precious
and dear to my heart. But we will keep working hard and continue to
prepare for the next "game day". I'm putting on my eye black next
Sunday ;)

Know that I am doing well and loving life as a missionary! Sister
Stromberg and I get along great and we plan on working hard this
transfer! Should be a good one! I hope you all have an amazing week!
Try to take time this week to just listen. Find a quiet place and
spend time listening to the spirit and in communion with Heavenly
Father. I love you all!



Love always, Sister Thompson 🌻
In the car with Sister Stromberg!
This watermelon tasted gross so I tried pouring sugar on it to make it
better...it was still gross haha



With the cactus!
After I got hit by the cactus! Haha
Sister Stromberg!
A member took us out to a Thai restaurant....I love Thai food. A got
the yellow curry ;)




Hermana Reidhead and Hermana Campbell came back for a baptism! They
finished their missions last week and it was SO hard saying goodbye to
them! That's why we has red teary eyed faces haha
Lunchtime...nailed it.
Random picture with a bike rack




Random photo shoot with a giant pink bush haha




No comments:

Post a Comment